Monday, January 13, 2014

Christmas in Chiang Mai, NYE in Bangkok - I've Always Wanted to Say That

It is a pretty unique opportunity to spend your holidays abroad, but honestly it just doesn't feel right. At least not without Darryl, or the normal family traditions (where are my Norwegian meatballs??). I am thankful I had Eric by my side and we were able to try to be the most AMERICAAAN we could be while in Chiang Mai for Christmas.

Our plan of action at first was thus:
  • See Anchorman 2
  • Eat Chinese food
In either order.

In reality what happened wasn't what we planned, because (NOOOOO) Anchorman 2 does not exist in Thailand...and there was no breadcrumb trail anywhere on the internet to hint that it was ever going to end up in Thailand. Anchorman is a shared favorite movie of ours, so we came up with a backup plan and decided to see American Hustle, which was listed as "American Bullshit" on the Thai movie websites.

We got to the movie theater and found no American Hustle (such Bullshit!), so our options were slim... very slim. Demonstrating our lack of options, we chose "Walk with Dinosaurs 3D." The next showing wasn't for 2 hours leaving us with empty bellies unwilling to wait the trek to the Chinese restaurant I had in mind.

So we proceeded as Americans should, and found the Pizza Company in the mall. The Pizza Company had been tantalizing us for days with its disgusting cheese stuffed crust with lava cheese dip pizza option, so that happened. And it was delicious.

The movie was really, really bad, even though I did cry at one point (shut up). We spent a few more days in Chiang Mai, ate some non-Westernized Chinese food (it's just not right!!!), and took our scooters for one last trek, up to the top of Doi Suthep, where it was cold, cold, cold and the skies were not clear. Part of the joy of Suthep is the views of the city it provides so that was disappointing, but at least we got to zip around the city before taking our flight the next day to Bangkok.

Untitled Bangkok... oh Bangkok. It was pretty much what I expected. So. so. so. seedy. Which isn't really a problem to me, but I didn't realize how it could wear on someone.

Eric found an awesome sounding rooftop NYE party for us to attend, but first I realized I'd sent any NYE-ish clothes home. After accidentally boarding the sky train going in the opposite direction of our intended mall, we decided to just see where it took us, and ended up at the end of the line: the Erawan Museum, identifiable by the gigantic three headed elephant statue on top.

UntitledThe building below the elephant contains ornate staircases, stretching up to a fantastic stain glass window dome with a map of the world etched into it.

I had read that you could enter the "belly" of the elephant so we continued to climb until we were inside the beast. It was spectacular - the constellation painting on the curved ceiling something I would have died to have in my room as a child (or...now). This all encompassed a breathtaking Buddha shrine.

Untitled
Inside the elephant's belly
That night for New Year's Eve, we danced the night away on a fancy hotel's helipads (and on stage with the DJs), made friends from around the world and watched fireworks. The city felt alive in the way that New York does and I decided I was in love. It would have been the perfect NYE if Darryl had been there, though dance parties are not really his caliber. :)

Yum!
Yummy scorpion
The love was shortlived. I was disappointed with our visit to Chinatown (no one would barter with us, I though this was Bangkok?!), so we changed course to Khao San Road. I was told to avoid there, but it was our last chance to grab some souvenirs before exiting the country.

It actually wasn't as bad as I expected and I managed to enjoyed myself. I even ate part of a fried scorpion, with the help of Eric. Besides the VERY crunchy texture, it was delicious because they salted it so much. Who can say no to salt? Erin.

Soi Cowboy
I messaged a friend we had made in our hotel and for our final night, we decided that was time to peer into the world of Soi Cowboy, one of the famed Bangkok red light districts. OK, mom and dad can stop reading if they want to, but these are the areas with "go go" dancers and ping pong shows. It's kind of a requirement to stop by, even if just to gawk.

And I was really there just to gawk and peek into the window of this super gross part of society. The (mostly older white) men hiding in the shadows, or not hiding at all, with girls draped in their laps. We didn't even mean to see a ping pong show, but one just started out of NO WHERE at the bar we were at. I wont go into detail, but if you ever want to hear about it, I'm happy to share. Oy.

Eric was so disgusted he walked out. So good for him! Honestly. I had one last thing I wanted to see with my own eyes - a ladyboy bar - so my other friend and I walked into one and were immediately cornered. They pull you in, and suddenly you're "buying" them sodas at $4 a pop without you even consenting. So while it was worth it to appease my curiosity, we got out of there as quickly as we walked in.


All in all a very strangely entertaining night, but in the end, Bangkok made me feel skeezy (I guess partially my own doing), worn out, and I was ready to get out of there. It's sort of akin to Vegas - 3 nights is more than enough.

Definitely one of my weirdest holidays to date. I prefer Darryl and family holidays, but I think the best of both worlds would be for an international holiday checking out somewhere new in the world, with everyone I love.

-Erin
Me
Me in Bangkok

No comments:

Post a Comment